Almond flour is an excellent swap for wheat flour. It is gluten free for those who have gluten allergies or intolerance AND it packs tons of protein, fiber, and healthy fats!
Adding stuffing like sun dried tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, kale, onions, not only add tons of flavor, but adds vitamins and unique health boosting phyto-nutrients.
Using a grass-fed goat cheese is optional but it is a delicious addition here! You can swap in nutritional yeast or but based cheeses for lactose or casein/ whey allergies and intolerance.
- 8 cups almond flour
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil (cooled, not boiling)
- 1 envelope yeast
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- Toppings/ Insides:
- For this recipe I used 2 cups of SAUTÉED kale
- 1 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 smal red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- But you can use any toppings you WANT!
- Some great ideas are ...
- Spinach or kale
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Squash or Zucchini
- Fresh tomatoes
- Prosciutto and figs
- Place flour and salt in a large bowl and mix thoroughly
- Add 1/2 cup water to small bowl and yeast. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes until frothy and foamy *** IF YOUR YEAST DOES NOT DO THIS, THEN IT COULD BE BAD! ***
- Create a well in the center of the flour and add yeast/water and begin to mix it into the flour. Adding flour from the outside of the well into the middle little by little.
- Add half the oil and half the remaining water to the well and begin to mix.
- Add the remaining water and oil and continue to mix.
- Let the dough "rest" for about 15 minutes until it has double in size.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2-3 portions for separate uses. - can use all now OR freeze for future use!
- Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick and rectangular in size
- On one end of the dough (back third) add your toppings, leaving a strip at the very back for you to hold.
- Carefully roll your dough over the toppings then over the bare side until completed rolled.
- Add to baking sheet pan (lined with parchment if desired).
- Can top with cheese if desired =)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F until golden brown and the bottom is crispy.